31 March 2008

And just when you think you've seen it all...

Then you see what I saw early yesterday evening, and while you are laughing hysterically, you realize this story is WAY too good not to share. It was also yet another reminder that I really need to start carrying my camera all the time, because filming it would have been extraordinary.
I have made no secret about what a nerd I am, and that I'm damn proud of it. As part of that, I played Dungeons and Dragons from the ages of 7 until 16. I would probably still play if I knew enough other people who did. Which leads me to my story...

I don't remember who actually told me about the group in the dining room. I think it was Brandon, maybe it was Susie, I honestly don't remember. All I remember is snickering, and someone telling me there was a group of people out in the dining room playing Dungeons and Dragons. I'm like, "I used to play that...I LOVE that game." Of course, everyone giggles at this. Thinking it was just 3 or 4 kids or something, I went to check it out. Turns out, I was a little off.

It was a group of 8 people, men and women, all in their 40's. To me, it just made it that much cooler that they were out there playing. I got to work at 4:3o, and was told they had been there for hours already.

Well, duh...

Around 6, Kat comes back to the office laughing, and tells me that 2 of the guys are out there arguing. Not in that discussing kind of way, but in that pissed off, "I'm right, and your WRONG" kind of way.

She said they were arguing about defensive spells and such, and were getting very loud about it.
Not really hearing too much, I didn't go out and investigate. Kat went back to what she was doing, as did I. About 5 minutes later, I have 2 customers peek around the corner into the office, which they never usually do, and tell me to call the cops, because there are 2 guys outside fighting. Not arguing, really fighting. I go out to the dining room and can see them going at it from the window.

Pay-per-view doesn't have fights this good.

It went on for a bit. One guy left bleeding, and the one who stayed obviously got slugged in both his eyes. Of course nosy Susie went to go out and talk to the guy and one of the women that had been playing as well. Turns out these guys have been friends for 30 years. Yet they felt the overwhelming need to kick the shit out of each other. Over a game of D & D.

The world is an interesting place, isn't it?

No comments: