25 December 2007

"...what are you thinkin'??...."

Christmas puts me in a strange frame of mind. I think the last time I enjoyed it, I mean, really LOVED it, I was 8 years old. My parents were already divorced a year by then, my father living his new life with a new woman. My mother was sitting in the hospital at the time, victim of her vices. Drunk driving caused the loss of her left arm to the elbow, so she was in the hospital for about a year. So the care of my sister Carolina and I was left to my grandparents, my Garcia grandparents that is.

No strange people, no hiding in my closet from the nightmare I was living at home with my mother. No falling asleep in class because I wasn't sleeping at night. No crying all the time, wondering why the two people who brought me into this world were never there when I needed them the most.

Only peaceful sleep, something I have not enjoyed since that time. The love of my family, without all the hurt and regret behind it. A true happiness I have not felt since then. Something that so many people tend to take for granted.

Where I'm going with this is....

You only go around this crazy place once. Take your moments where you can get them, make the most of what you have, and never take for granted the people in the world who truly love you, because you never know when they're gonna be gone.

Never regret it....

No comments: