10 November 2007

Think about it.....why not do something different?

So, once again, the holiday season is here. You know, the time of year that rapes your bank account, and inspires you to be around people you usually spend every other day of the year avoiding.

That's right!! Thanksgiving and Christmas...

I do cook on both holidays (no work on those days), but that is as far as my celebrating goes. Last year. Cooked on Thanksgiving, then hung out watching a "Twilight Zone" marathon; alone.
Christmas. Cooked again. I was sicker than hell, so......then I went to work for a couple hours to get things ready for the next day. I won that shift from other people who also wanted to not be home. I am management, which basically means "I rule!", and stay home sucker, 'cause seniority rocks.

Hail to the king, baby...

So after reading a post by some guy (Matt Good) about how he and his family were going to volunteer their time for the Christmas holidays instead of falling into the same old commercial bullshit, I decided to run with that idea as well.

So now I am currently speaking with the administration of the Orange County Children's Hospital about volunteering my time for said holidays, and also trying to get some of the kids I work with to come along. I already have one (that's right, Kat, no backing out now ;p) for Thanksgiving, will have to talk to the other kids today when I go in. I will give more details when I know exactly what we are doing, and who is going.

I do realize that most people are close to their families, and ultimately love spending that time with them. That truly is a wonderful thing, as that is the way it should be.

Not all are that lucky.

There are so many, that for whatever the circumstance, will not have a Thanksgiving dinner with their family; those who won't be there to help put up the Christmas tree, or even presents to open. Most of them don't even want that. All they want is for someone to be there. To listen. To make them smile, if only for a moment. You'd be surprised how easy it is.

So sure, go celebrate with your family, and enjoy the happiness of being with them.....

But....

Why not share some of that love with someone else. Everybody has time to spare, don't they? Especially if it is important. I think it is. We are all human beings, after all...

Happy holidays, everyone!! :)

No comments: